Translate

Friday, December 26, 2014

Anger


Anger. I've been FULL of it.

Did you know that there really is such a distinction to make between righteous and sinful anger?

Not all anger is sinful. Not all anger is righteous. Often we're a mix of both.

But where do you draw those lines?

It's ok to be angry about wicked shepherds who prey upon the flock, or who destroy ministers' careers. After all, God is angry about that, just as he's angry about all sin.

But what's not ok is for you to do what I did: to declare myself to be like God in some ways and say, "How dare you violate my sovereignty! How dare you blaspheme my name! How dare you disrespect me!" That's sinful anger that seeks vengeance.

We have to learn to acquiesce to the God who says, "Vengeance is mine."

The men who destroyed my career? Either God will take terrible vengeance on them for it forever in hell, OR Christ took that upon himself at the cross. 

Who am I to say that either one is not enough, but I've got to add to that vengeance by hating them in my heart?

And whichever way God chooses to satisfy his justice, who am I to say? It's his justice!

So - in my own heart, I've got to separate the anger that's an appropriate response to wicked men behaving wickedly from the wicked anger that I need to repent of.

I don't have to feel guilty for responding to wickedness as the Lord would. Nor should I justify my sinful anger as if it was an appropriate and godly response to evil men.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember - all posts need to be anonymous. Don't use your name or the name of anyone else or any organization. Thanks!